Today I attended a "several times a year" Craft Day at Matt's sister Mindy's house. A group of us, including several of Matt's sisters, sister-in-law, and nieces, gather to work on whatever projects we are working on at the moment. It is a lot fun to see what everyone is working on, from Advent calendars to scarves to afghans, and of course, share food and laughter as well. Since I obviously have not inherited my mom's incredible creativity and ability to make anything using a needle or a sewing machine, the only craft I ever work on at Craft Day are my scrapbooks. I started scrapbooking when Austin was a baby, and it was not long before I became hooked on the craft. But scrapbooking can be a very time consuming, not to mention expensive, hobby. Sometimes I find myself getting so stressed about finishing a layout or an album that I have to stop and remind myself why I am doing this.
I am doing this for ME: I scrapbook for my own entertainment and enjoyment. It is a wonderful way for me to be expressive and creative. The feeling that I get when I create a page that I love is awesome!
I am doing this for MY KIDS: Someday, my children will grow up. I want them to have wonderful memories of their childhood. I am hoping that having lots of pictures and scrapbooks will help them remember what life as a child was like. In my scrapbooks I record special events, such as birthday parties and holidays, but also the everyday events, such as trips to the zoo, the playground, swimming, and reading. I want them to be able to remember the first day of school, the Christmases, the trips to the pumpkin patch. I want them be able to remember what being a child is all about. I want them to know how much I love them. I want them to be able to look back on their childhood and know that I treasured EVERY MOMENT with them.
No comments:
Post a Comment