"It doesn't matter if it's a boy or a girl, just as long as he or she is healthy." I have heard those words from many expectant parents, and even remember saying them myself during both of my pregnancies. I must admit, though, while pregnant with Kaylie, I do remember thinking how wonderful it would be to bring home a sister for Austin, but a brother would have been just as wonderful.
It is not that way everywhere in this world. Last week, I stumbled upon a story on the news that caught my attention. A family in Kabul was raising their youngest daughter as a boy. I know a little about Afghan culture, but not a lot, and this story intrigued me. After watching the news, I decided to do a little research on the issue. I found that for generations, many families have been raising their daughters as sons. Many women weep, not from joy, but from sorrow, at the birth of a girl. Girls are thought of as "drainers", boys as "contributors". Many families decide to raise their daughters as sons, in order to give them a better chance in life, they can go to school, they can play outside, they can have friends.
As a child being raised in a house full of girls, both of my parents always made sure that we knew we could be whatever we wanted to be when we grew up. I do the same for my daughter.
Every day, I thank God for my two beautiful children, one of whom happens to be a girl. I also thank God that she is able to be herself, wear pretty dresses, push her babies around in the stroller, be kind, loving, and compassionate. She plays outside, has friends, and will one day go to school. She can go to college, be anything she wants to be.
Thank heaven for little girls.
I think my favorite picture is the first one in the diaper and crooked hat. She is so stylish. :)
ReplyDelete