It was a semi-normal day. Kaylie wasn't feeling well, so I had decided to stay at home with her. We drove Austin up to Becker for kindergarten, and then I took Kaylie to the doctor since she was running a slight fever, and H1N1 was everywhere. The doctor said it wasn't H1N1, her fever wasn't high enough. It was a virus, and it would run its course. We left the doctor's office and headed for home. Kaylie fell asleep pretty quickly, as she had been up much of the night. We were only about 1/2 mile from home when I stopped at the stoplight on Bunker Lake Blvd. and Highway 47. I turned around to look at her, and she was seizing. Her face was a gray-white, and her lips were turning blue. I screamed her name, not knowing what else to do. I was afraid she wasn't breathing. I pulled off the road into the parking lot, and struggled to get her out of her car seat. She fell limp in my arms, her lips still blue. I screamed for help (help my baby please!), but no one was around. I ran into Subway, where a quick thinking sandwich artist took one look at us and ran to get the chiropractor from next door. A customer called 911, and by the time the first responders got there, it had been determined that she was having a seizure, most likely febrile, caused by a rapid increase in body temperature. By the time the paramedics got there, the seizure had stopped (it lasted almost 6 minutes), and the color was beginning to return to her face. At least her lips weren't blue anymore. I will never in my life forget the sight of my baby's gray face.
After spending 6 hours in the ER, it was determined that Kaylie is prone to febrile seizures, very common in children, especially toddlers. The seizures are not harmful (although horrible to watch), and more than likely she will outgrow them by the time she's 5 or 6. She has had 2 more seizures since then, and believe me, they certainly don't get any easier to watch, although the panicking on my part was definitely less. Hopefully she will outgrow them soon.
I have been religiously following your blog my dear sister, I check it almost everyday, but I held off on commenting on every post to not look like a crazy person. I enjoy all the pictures you put up too.
ReplyDelete